Fitzroy Island Resort is located in Tropical North Queensland and is only a 30km (60 min) ferry trip from Cairns. The island is surrounded by reef and is therefore a fantastic location to snorkel and dive plus many other water activities like sailing, kayaking and swimming.
Fitzroy Island is for the majority a National Park with tropical rainforest, walking tracks, two main beaches plus a lighthouse on the eastern end of the island offering amazing views. The resort offers facilities for day visitors, diving enthusiasts and staying guests, offering 4 star accommodation. This island is ideal for singles, couples and families, but also for groups as they offer conference and function facilities.
Fitzroy Island Resort offers different styles of accommodation. There are 99 rooms, and range between Ocean Suites, self contained apartments, Resort Studio and Beach Cabins.
GETTING TO FITZROY ISLAND
Getting to Cairns
The tropical North Queensland city of Cairns is accessible from virtually anywhere in Australia by air. The Cairns International Airport services international and domestic airlines as well as general aviation and a number of helicopter operators. Domestic flights travel to Cairns from all over the country including all capital cities, regional Far North Queensland and tourist destinations such as Uluru (Ayers Rock).
Ferries from Cairns
A 60 minute ferry ride will get you from Cairns to Fitzroy Island and back daily, perfect for day trips to visit the Great Barrier Reef and longer holiday too.
- Sunkist ferry services leave from “E finger” at 7.30am and 2pm
- Raging Thunder ferry services depart from Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal at 9:00am
- Sunlover ferry services depart from Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal at 9:30am (Sunlover)
- All ferry services returning from Fitzroy to Cairns depart Fitzroy’s jetty at 9:30am (Sunkist), 4:00pm (Raging Thunder), 4:30pm (Sunlover) and 5pm (Sunkist).
Take your own Boat
Visiting the Island in your own yacht or boat gives you even more freedom to take things at your own pace, with the 15 nautical mile trip from Cairns offering a safe passage along scenic coastline. At Fitzroy Island you’ll find secure moorings and anchorage in naturally sheltered waters for private vessels.
ACTIVITIES & ATTRACTIONS
At Fitzroy Island, you can relax and escape, you can dive right in to adventure, or you can do a little of both. Accessible, affordable and friendly, the island’s safe, sheltered waters and pristine natural environment are here for all to explore and enjoy.
- Perfect location to explore the Great Barrier Reef – snorkel directly from the beach
- Relax by the pool or at our swim up bar
- Hire snorkel and dive gear or explore the reef by booking a kayaking tour
- Daily dive’s, introduction dives and residential courses
- Wander the tropical rainforest tracks to discover the island’s secluded coral beaches
- Challenge yourself with the Summit and Lighthouse walking trails and be rewarded with stunning 360 degree views of the region
- Create your own adventure with fishing, boating, and swimming year round